Tension & Trauma Releasing Exercises
What is TRE®?
TRE® stands for Tension & Trauma Releasing Exercises. This simple set of exercises helps individuals release stress and tension as a result of difficult life circumstances, immediate or prolonged stressful situations, or traumatic life experiences.
- The TRE® process accesses the body’s natural ability to let go of tension and trauma by initiating the relaxation response through specific, yet simple exercises.
- TRE® allows the body to come back into a balanced state while releasing held stress and chronic tension patterns in the body.
- TRE® exercises help individuals release tension in the muscles, which in turn relaxes the anxiety of our minds, by evoking a muscular shaking process in the body.
- TRE® exercises elicit shaking in a very controlled and sustained manner. When evoked, the body begins to release deep chronic muscular tension held within the body. The shaking often begins at the power center of the body, the Psoas Muscle. From this area, it reverberates throughout the entire body traveling along the spine, releasing deep chronic tension from the sacrum to the cranium.
Who can benefit from TRE®?
Everyone can benefit from TRE®. The shaking mechanism in the muscles is part of our natural behavior, therefore it is beneficial for:
- A Parent or Spouse
- A Victim of Violence or an Accident
- A person suffering from PTSD
- Sports Injuries
- Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain
- Many medical diagnosis & Cancer
Reported Benefits Include:
- Less Worry & Anxiety
- Reduces Symptoms of PTSD
- More Energy & Endurance
- Improved Marital Relationships
- Less Workplace Stress
- Better Sleep
- Less Relationship Conflict
- Reduced Muscle & Back Pain
- Increased Flexibility
- Greater Emotional Resiliency
- Decreases Symptoms of Vicarious Trauma
- Healing of Old Injuries
- Lessened Anxiety surrounding Serious Illness
- Relief from Chronic Medical Conditions
Life isn't stressed free for any of us. We have busy lives with our families, our jobs, and our friends. We rush from deadline to deadline, one event to another, never allowing our bodies to release the strain from daily life.
We currently live in a time where most of us have or will experience a traumatic event; be it personally or vicariously due to the threats of terrorism, political unrest and climate changes that create disastrous hurricanes, droughts, and earthquakes often creating a mass loss of life.
The Good News: Physiologically, we all have the tools encoded into us to deal with such stressors. TRE® teaches us to re-train & allow our bodies to release, relax & recover from both, past & present stress, tension and trauma.
What happens to the body during a Traumatic Event or Prolonged Stress?
- Our body naturally goes into a “Fight or Flight” mode.
- Our muscles tense pulling the body into an inward, fetal pattern while the sympathetic nervous system gears up, increasing heart rate, blood pressure, and adrenaline; this allows us to flee or stand our ground in the presence of a perceived threat.
- Our health is detrimentally affected from this Fight or Flight’ response if the stressful experience is not discharged and the body stays in a turned ON state for a long term period of time. This constant level of stress & tension throughout our body can exacerbate over time, thus developing into many different issues &/or illnesses.
Examples of illnesses caused by prolonged stress on the body: Chronic Fatigue & Fibromyalgia, Tight Muscles, High Blood Pressure, Fatigue, Depression, Cardiovascular Disease, Migraine, Stress & Tension Headaches, TMJ and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
We are designed to experience, endure & survive stressful episodes. We are genetically encoded to release this pain and trauma from our bodies. After a traumatic event, our bodies naturally tremble, which allows the body and muscles to release the excess energy, relax our muscles and calm the sympathetic nervous system down to come back into a balance.
The Tension & Trauma Releasing Exercises were created to assist the body to actually tremor, re-training our bodies to do what is natural to release the stress from our system and to be able to move forward in a calm balanced way.
TRE® is very effective for treating the symptoms of trauma and PTSD. Trauma is broadly defined and can include such "innocent" traumas as falling off a ladder or slipping on the ice, and can also include the shock and trauma from more serious events such as car accidents, medical emergencies, sexual trauma or violence. TRE® is also effective with longer term developmental type trauma including birth trauma, abuse, and neglect.
Stress affects the body and nervous system in many ways, showing up as muscular tension, headaches, insomnia, irritability, anxiety, or depression. TRE® helps combat the accumulation of stress in the body by accessing the body's innate muscular mechanism for releasing it through a tremoring process. People suffering from overwork, anxiety, or those who are simply in a stressful environment as part of their work (teachers, social workers, nurses, physicians, police, firefighters, paramedics, EMTs) benefit tremendously from incorporating TRE® as a self-care tool into their lives.
The relaxation and balance achieved with TRE® is a phenomenal complement to a variety of wellness practices. Practitioners of yoga and pilates see tremendous benefit to relaxing muscles more completely and restoring full and relaxed breathing to the body. TRE® is also a very effective component of a meditation practice as it relaxes and stills both the body and mind and helps cultivate greater body awareness. Athletes of all kinds can benefit from the restorative nature of TRE® as an extremely effective recovery tool between workouts.
TRE® is a safe and effective stress release technique for most people. The TRE process should not be used as a substitute for trauma recovery procedures of a medical or psychological nature.
Individuals who have physical or psychological/psychiatric conditions that require strict regulation, individuals with fragile psychological defenses, a complex history of trauma or restricting physical or medical limitations should consult their medical practitioner or a Certified TRE Provider prior to performing these exercises.
It is contraindicated to utilize TRE® if you have Epilepsy, seizures or are currently pregnant.
When can you do TRE®?
TRE can be done in private session and in a small group settings; once learned you can even do it in the privacy of your own home.
Private Class………1 Hour
Group Class........…2 Hour
1st Session (1.5 Hours) - $100
1 Hour $ 75
2 Hour Private Group Session for 2-5 people $200
2 Hour Private Group Session for 6-12 people $500
2 Hour Private Group Session for 13-20 people $800
2 Hour TRE® Workshop $60 per person
TRE® Sessions are also available with Jennifer via FaceTime and Zoom. Prices are the same for virtual sessions.
Payments will be made through Pay Pal or Square Invoice 24 hours prior to your appointment. 48 Hour cancellation notice is required.
Request a Virtual TRE® Session via email or schedule on line by email [email protected]
For more information on TRE® contact TraumaPrevention.com.
From a TRE client
Looking for options to help with stress and anxiety, I attended a TRE workshop led by Jennifer
Hunt. To say I was apprehensive and skeptical is an understatement. Reading about TRE was
intriguing but I really didn’t expect it to work for me. After thirty some years in emergency
services, I was really good at suppressing my emotions and problems while dealing with
everyone else’s. The mask never came off.
The night before the workshop I didn’t sleep and was nauseous on the way there, worried about
what I was getting into. One of the biggest concerns was about being out of control and what
might happen. Thank goodness I had convinced a friend to go with me so I wasn’t alone.
From the moment we walked into the room Jen was welcoming, friendly and explained what to
expect in a way that I felt gave me an out if I needed it. From the back of the room, so no one
was looking at me, I listened to the information about TRE. We took a break before starting the
second part of the workshop and I seriously considered not going back into the room. I was the
last one back in and by then everyone else had already started. Much to my surprise, I was able
to go through the process and tremor successfully. What a great feeling! It ended up not being
so scary after all! For the rest of the day I experienced a physical and mental calmness that was
Since that day, in both group sessions and individually, Jen has answered questions, followed
up, encouraged and provided a safe environment. My TRE practice continues to evolve but by
being consistent I now sleep better, experience much less anxiety and have been able to calmly
go through situations that previously were difficult and extremely stressful. Issues that have
been buried for years are finally surfacing, but in a non-threatening way that allows me to
acknowledge and then let them go. We all have stress in our lives and based on my experience,
I think everyone could benefit from TRE.